On 2nd February, 1949, Late Mr. Sebastian Vincent Laus Fonseka with the noble aim of creating generations of virtuous Christians, teamed up with his brother Mr. J. Anthony Fonseka and built an institution in two cadjan sheds 30 x 20 and 20 x 40, on a land obtained at lease at Periyamulla, consisting of 32 students and 7 teachers.
On a visit to Periyamulla, the late His Eminence Thomas Cardinal Cooray noticed this school and invited the Fonseka brothers to establish the institution as a school in the Periyammulla church premises. Accordingly classes began in the building erected in the Periyammulla church premises and Mr. S. V. Fonseka served as the 1st Principal of this school for 38 years. He was indeed a brave and courageous man who always endeavored for the betterment of children’s education, yet remained a simple man himself.
In the year 1979, Rev. Bro. Clifford of the Marist congregation offered his services in the
capacity of Principal for a period of one year by way of taking over the administration of
In 1987 the All Ceylon Teachers’ Union in Sri Lanka took over the administration of this school by way of a three member board of Trustees under Mr. J. E. Noel Dabarera, the 2nd Principal. In 1994 the All Ceylon Teachers’ Union and Mr. J. E. Noel Dabarera handed over the school administration to the Archdiocese of Colombo.
In July 1994 Rev. Fr. Leo Perera, the parish priest of Our Lady of Snows Church, Periyamulla was appointed by the then Archbishop Dr. Nicholas Marcus Fernando as the first Rector of this College.
Rev. Fr. Leo Perera teamed up with Rev. Bro. Thilakasiri Fernando T.O.R to fulfill the
onerous task of re-establishing the College on 27th September 1995, at the present premises,
which was formerly an oil mill.
In January 2000 with the appointment of Rev. Fr. Trevor Martin as the 2nd Rector, the College made a steady progress with new buildings coming up and introduction of sweeping changes aimed at higher standards of education and discipline in the College.
On 12th January, 2003, Grade 1 English Medium class was formed for the first time in the Loyolian History paving way to English Medium education for the students.
Loyola College Branch school at Bopitiya was declared open by His Grace the Archbishop Most
Rev. Dr. Oswald Gomis on 15th January, 2003 expanding the services giving privilege for the
students in that area..
On the 10th February 2014, Rev. Fr. Trevor Martin left Loyola College and on the following day, Rev. Fr. Ranjith Andradi became the 3rd Rector of the College. After a brief period he handed over the Rectorship to Rev. Fr. Sudath Gunetileke, the present Rector, who assumed duties on the 26th May 2015 as the 4th Rector..
In the crack of dawn Rev. Fr. Sudath Gunetileke made the things happen by purchasing three portions of adjoining land with the intention of expanding the terrestrial area. The chapel which was in the Advanced Level Section was shifted to a spacious place near the entrance making it more convenient and easily accessible. The child friendly play area for the primary students to enjoy physical activities adds beauty to the primary compound. The main entrance for the college was given an appealing and inviting appearance. Loyola Sports Complex was named after Rev. Fr. Trevor Martin as a result of his noble thoughts about the past Rector. Today with a generous investment, the College shines in her new looks with alluring colours on its walls. Rev. Fr. Sudath Gunetileke is steering towards the safe shore with much commitment and dedication elevating the standard of education and discipline to the higher and higher levels. After 69 long years, this College has come up to the great heights having 2,378 students and 127 teachers which we all proud of.
Known As : St. Ignatius of Loyola
Famous As : A Spiritual & Religious Leader.
Nationality : Spanish
Birth Date : 23rd October, 1491 AD
Born in : Azpeitia, In Spain.
Died At Age : 64
Religion : Roman Catholic
Died on : 31 July 1556 AD
Place of death : Rome
Beatified By : July 27, 1609 by Paul V
Canonized By : March 12, 1622 by Gregory XV
Feast Day : 31st July
Patron : Dioceses of San Sebastian and Bilbao, Biscay & Gipuzkoa, Basque Country, Military Ordinariate of the Philippines, Society of Jesus, Soldiers, Educators and